Want to help make Boston Bike Party extra fun and safe? Volunteer with our ride marshaling team on the rides! Every month we station volunteers at every turn along the way to let riders know which direction to ride in. Once the volunteer sweep rolls by, volunteers join the ride again. All you need is a bike, a costume, and a good outdoor voice. It’s easy and fun!
We call this method of group riding “turn marshalling” or “summer mode,” because it works really well in large groups that summer attracts. In the colder months we switch to “winter mode,” where volunteers help hold traffic at intersections and the entire group rides through the intersection together.
There are three types of volunteers on this ride:
- Ride Leader: The Ride Leader leads the ride. We have one-two leaders.
- Ride Marshal: Ride Marshals station at turns and direct riders. We need a LOT of turn marshals every single month!
- Ride Sweep: Ride Sweep rides at the back of the ride, hand out route cue sheets to any stragglers, and cues the Ride Marshals to join the ride again when passing them. We need two ride sweeps.
What’s do I do as a ride marshal?
- You’ll be given a few turn assignments for the ride by the volunteer coordinator in the week before the ride and during the volunteer meeting right before the ride.
- When your turn is approaching, you’ll ride ahead of the group and pull over onto a visible place on the sidewalk, then signal to riders which way to turn with your bike lights and best dance moves!
- You’ll stay at your turn until the dedicated volunteer ride sweep rides by, then you join the ride again and enjoy the ride!
- At the party stop, check in with the volunteer coordinator!
What about ride Sweep?
- At the beginning of the ride, wait for the bulk of the entire ride to get rolling before you join the ride, and hand out cue sheets to anyone still waiting for their friends.
- You’ll ride slowly towards the back of the ride, bringing up the rear. As you pass by turn marshals, tell them to join the ride , relieving them of their duties.
- Check in with the ride leader at the party stop.
Cool! How do I help?
- Join our mailing list and Boston Bike Party Volunteer Facebook group
- Sign up to volunteer as a turn marshal on the volunteer sign up when it gets sent out.
- Join our test rides. where we do a practice run of the route with volunteer turn assignments! You can still volunteer if you can’t make the test rides, but it does help to sign up in and know the route in advance.
- Check in with the volunteer coordinator before the ride. Even if you’re new or miss the test rides, we could still use your help with turn marshaling. Check in with us at the Trinity Church steps at 7pm on the night of the ride!